Tuesday, May 27, 2008

THE BEST WAY TO OVER COME UNPRODUCTIVE-NESS

IS... to just work through it! I've been lazy. Really lazy when it comes to promoting and really lazy when it comes to listing... I need to get off my butt and start moving!

I've been thinking a lot lately about pricing. Etsy pricing vs. B&M pricing. I'm curious how many people price their items lower on Etsy than they would in a retail store. I know that some of my items could easily go for a few dollars higher in a retail store even with the shipping costs added on. But knowing this, I still choose to price lower than. Why do I do this? Why does anyone do it? It's the fear of having no sales at all!!! but in the long run is this really the right thing to do? I mean, if I start wholesaling I'd be losing out and obviously my wholesalers don't want me to end up underpricing them. What will my customers think if my prices suddenly jump? Is it worth the risk of losing repeat customers? It's a back and forth debate in my head..

2 comments:

Tizzalicious said...

I raised mine some time ago, and I didn't lose any customers over it. I guess you don't need to do it if you don't want to do wholesale, but if you do, you want to be able to give a decent discount!

Anonymous said...

i agree - figuring out pricing is the hardest part!! Self-eteem gets in the mix and it's so hard at times to really sell our creations at the true value that they are worth!!

I just opened an etsy shop selling different products than i do on my main website and i too automatically thought i needed a lower price point for the etsy items..why? not sure. Reminded myself of the time and effort that goes into each item and based pricing that way..even if prices may seem a wee bit higher. I know that the customer will be happy with the final item and so will I!

:)