It's been busy for me this month and since packaging can be very time consuming I thought I'd share the things I do to make it go more smoothly.
1. Prewrite or stamp your address on all your envelopes unless of course you use online shipping labels.
2. Keep a stack of customs labels ready to go I usually have them peeled and stuck on the envelopes. Again this doesn't apply if you use online shipping labels.
3. Put one or two of your business cards into each envelope and a coupon, thank you or extra freebies if you do that. (I do this because I always forget to put my cards in afterwards)
4. If you use gift boxes put a sticker label with your shop name, logo and website on it. If you use bubble wrap or tissue paper instead then tape it shut with the sticker label. It's a good way to get people to recognize you and if it's being given as a gift the receiver now has your website so they can check out your stuff. DO NOT put fancy or cute or pretty stickers or things on the outside of your package. I've heard stories about people getting their packages stolen from the post office or off their doorsteps!
5. Care instructions. I always forget to include these with my orders so what I've come up with is to tape them inside the lid of my gift boxes. If you don't have gift boxes slip them into your envelopes along with your business cards.
6. Pack ONE order at a time in order to avoid confusion and mistake. There have been a few times when I have had multiple orders and think okay.. I'll find everything, put them in boxes and pack them up. Well, that would work great except all my boxes are the same.. So just imagine how paranoid I am and how many times I open the boxes to double check that the right box is going in the right envelope!!! Save yourself a headache and do one at a time.
Doing these little things has saved me SO much time. If you've got ways to make the shipping process easier please share them in my comments section :)