Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Tiny Fig's January Design Challenge

I wanted to try something new this year and so I came up with the idea to do a series of design challenges. Here's the details for the first one!



Go to the new Freebies section of my website and download the box template I just uploaded. The file contains 3 pages: an instruction page, a blank template and a printable orange and pink heart box template (my gift to you) as shown above. Your challenge is to design a Valentine's Day themed box using the blank template provided. That's it. You can use any materials you want (fabric, glitter, glue, paper, pipe cleaners, etc...) and you can design it in a graphics program if you like then print it out and assemble. When you're done, just email me at thetinyfig@hotmail.com with a photo of it using the subject line: "January Design Challenge". You may submit one design per person and anyone can enter so tell your friends or make it a weekend project with the kids! You have until January 31st to email me a submission. On Feb 1st I will sort through the entries, pick my favorite and announce the winner on my blog. The winner will receive a $20 gift certificate for my shop.

*NOTES*
- Print page 1 if you want to use your own paper for the box. Just cut and trace it to the paper of your choice. Then cut, score and assemble.
- Print page 2 if you what to draw directly on the blank template, glue things on it, decoupage it, or whatever. Then cut, score and assemble.
- Print page 3 if you just need a box to use for gift giving :)

6 comments:

Lindentreephotography said...

very cool. Question, will the purpose of the box be considered or only the looks?

Connie said...

I think I'll judge by creativity so if that means the purpose of the box is something that will make me go WOW you might just win :)

Lafe's Hidden Treasures said...

Sorry to have to ask. This is my first challenge to try. Are we to actually design the box or just the template? Can we use our own Valentine papers? Don't mean to be stupid but you never know unless you ask! Thanks

Christie Cottage said...

Cool box! Great idea for a challenge!

http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

Connie said...

You are designing the blank template that I have provided on page 2 of the file.

You can use any paper or materials you choose. So, if you want to use your own papers just download the template/instructions on page 1, cut it out, trace to your paper then score and fold as directed.

The page with the orange and pink hearts is just my freebie for you or anyone else who doesn't wish to participate in the challenge.

If anyone else has questions let me know!

Anonymous said...

hi tiny fig!!
i just saw your twitter - i would have loved to try this...not happening for me this late - but i will check back in for the next challenge!
love the idea!!

lynn